Pages

Monday, August 27, 2012

I Do

Last night, I dreamt that I was getting married. To who? Your guess is as good as mine- but that wasn't the point of the dream. I spent the entire dream choosing a dress, and the only other person there was my sister (the last person I would ever actually take wedding dress shopping- no offense to her). And I should probably mention that the gowns I tried on weren't even in my true taste.
Now, usually, I tend to be the type of person who dreams so realistically, that I often wonder where reality ends and my dream world begins. But something about this particular dream struck me as improbable, and sent me into a fluctuating state of skeptical half-consciousness. The dream really didn't go anywhere- I woke up with a sort of postcard-kind-of-memory branded in my brain, and a vague recollection of my latest nonsensical mental concoction. Naturally though, this has got me a-thinking about that enormous elephant that lurks in the corner of every woman's mind- marriage.
At twenty years old, I think the scariest thing about that word is the fact that it's no longer a phantasmagorical ship, floating off in the distance of our lives. No siree. That sucker is harboring some serious legitimacy now, and just waiting to make port.
Now obviously, as someone whose never even dated, I can't say that marriage is in my near future. But it is becoming a more prominent part of my life. Since I've started college, I've made several friends who are slightly older than myself, many of whom happen to be married already. I even have a friend younger than myself who just tied the knot. I'm in no rush to join the bandwagon here- but as more and more relationship statuses creep from being "single" to "married"... I can't help but feel that whack of reality smacking me in the face and trying to drag me out of my complete submersion in academia. It's kind of crazy how fast time flies by- how fast things (people [life]) change(s). I guess what I'm getting as it the fact that the past two years of my life have sped by at practically the speed of light, and while marriage seems like such a foreign idea to me now, the concept of it is looming in the (relatively) near future, and let's face it- every girl likes to imagine the perfect love story for herself.
I don't know about ya'll, but I've never given much thought to what my wedding would be like- aside from one little detail that has always loomed in my brain. How do you chose your maid of honor, someone you single out as your right hand (wo)man for such a momentous occasion.  I know that it's absolutely ridiculous of me to think about such things right now, but nevertheless, I do (no pun intended).

What are your thoughts?! I'm curious :)




2 comments:

  1. I just LOVE the way you write Crystal!
    And who hasn't thought about "that day,"- The only thing is that...I wouldn't worry about the details. Haha

    ReplyDelete
  2. Omg.... I could talk and talk about this.... -_- Have we covered this topic with each other before?? In any case, I TOTALLY understand AND I agree with you. Really not something I'm looking forward to right now...

    ReplyDelete